I had the pleasure of attending the annual Ecological Farming (ACRES) conference in Ohio last week. Of the many speakers, one particularly stood out on the topic of GMO foods. It’s becoming challenging for farmers to obtain non-GMO seeds. It’s notable that the major producer of GMO seeds is able to patent the technology on the basis of it’s unique traits. However, when it comes to labeling GMO foods for the consumer, our government considers GMO foods to be “substantially equivalent” to naturally produced foods. Therefore, genetically modified foods in this country go unlabeled. What can you do? Go to JustLabelIt.org and register your vote with hundreds of thousands other consumers to require a label on what we eat.
- The Local Beet: Chicago » Local Calendar 7/4/12 Happy and Hot Fourth!!!!!!!!! on Iroquois Valley Farms LLC
- The Local Beet: Chicago » The Local Calendar 6/13/12 Snap, English Peas, Favas on Iroquois Valley Farms LLC
- The Local Beet: Chicago » The Local Calendar 6/6/12 It’s Alliums Galore At The Markets on Iroquois Valley Farms LLC
- lena on ACRES Conference in Columbus, Ohio
- Tim Kelley on Missouri/Iowa Trip